Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I want to be

Never have I thought and  listed on my to-be's that I would be a writer. Never. I have never written a good literary workpiece when I was still at school. Never had I received a complement that I did something good in my English or Filipino class, not about essays or stories. The only time I could express and write whatever I want to is when I blog. I have been doing this because I want to release whatever it is that I have on my mind, never really considering if someone reads it or not.

I do feel that memories I make deserve to be put into words or else they would just one of the things that are allowed to rot and be forgotten and be gone. I cherish whatever things I realize and thought of in an instant because I am thinking that when I go back to a certain point, I have something that I can call as an archive or library of whatever's. Seems pretty lame. But yeah, I feel that memories should be blueprinted for the future.

And why am I writing this? Kind of funny but an idea dropped off my mind to scan over creative writing how-to's. Sure I won't be professional in the future, and I don't think I could be but an impulse just told me consider learning creative writing. Actually, during college we had chances to enroll in class that teaches basics of creative writing but I never entertained that idea. Just because I felt that I won't do good at it and so I would end up with a failing mark in class. Poor me, eh? And here I am trying to be as-if-curious-of-creative-writing. LOL.


And another thing, many bloggers do write but with no substance. Not to offend anyone, but not every blog is worth-reading. Therefore, learn and try the basics. As Nigel Watts writes:
There is a common belief that because most of us are literate and fluent, there is no need to serve an apprenticeship if we want to become a successful wordsmith. … That’s what I thought until I tried to write my first novel. I soon learnt that a novel, like a piece of furniture, has its own set of requirements, laws of construction that have to be learnt. Just because I had read plenty of novels didn’t mean I could write one, any more than I could make a chair because I had sat on enough of them.
(Nigel Watts, Teach Yourself Writing a Novel)
What do you think of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment